William Eberman, the Moravian pastor at Hope, Indiana, was sent to visit and preach for them in the fall of 1841.
Many other settlers followed, until by 1843, more than 80 families lived within a 3-mile (4.8 km) radius of what was to become West Salem, most of them Moravians.
According to tradition, in 1830 a man named Walser traveled through the area where the town later was located.
Mobile dating salem illinois Chatrandom girl looking man sexy video
But in 1843, it was Martin Hauser, a Moravian home missionary also from Hope, Indiana, who would be instrumental not only in starting a Moravian Church, but also in helping to establish the town.
On Saturday, May 25, 1844, a meeting was held in Peter Hinkle's barn, where heads of 15 families came forward and signed the Brotherly Agreement and Constitution that formed the new Moravian congregation.
Second was Peter Hinkle, who claimed his land on May 30, 1831.
From 1841 to 1846 the new Moravian settlers were working with the headquarters of the southern province of the Moravian Church in Salem (Old Salem), North Carolina, in establishing a congregation.
The settlement was organized as a village on February 5, 1898, with 69 voting for organization and two voting against. In 1965 property was bought for a village hall at 106 East South Street.
Its first recorded Board of Trustees was William Foster Sr. A building was erected housing the volunteer fire department and the office for the clerk and treasurer, as well as a meeting room and the police department.
A number of Moravian families, hearing these reports, moved from North Carolina to take up land in this area.
The earliest of these settlers was Adam Hedrick, who purchased his land on August 25, 1830.
After nine years of this arrangement, they became two separate congregations on February 7, 1858.
The Germans retained the old church, and the English built a new church on the south side of the public square. The English retained the old cemetery, while the Germans laid out a cemetery adjacent to it. The first recorded organized board meeting of the village of West Salem took place on August 24, 1914. Records in Village Hall do not show how these persons became the first officers, but they do not show an election of April 1915.
As early as the 1850s a cooper's shop was in operation to supply barrels for packing fruits.