(Laracy 1983, 16) In 1946, the war over, the British shifted their headquarters west to use the buildings the Americans had left at Point Cruz.(Tedder 1966, 36) Once Honiara was established, Guadalcanal was administered from there with the District Commissioner Central in charge.(Bathgate 1977, 5) No one thought about asking permission from the people of the area; after all, the land had been alienated for more than half a century.
(Clemens 2004, 204, 221) Point Cruz became a supply and transit base for the Americans and there was a road extending on both sides, thirty-two kilometres east and ten kilometres west-the first real road in the Solomon Islands.
From this period until the end of the war, about two thousand Solomon Islanders, most of them from Malaita, worked on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands Labour Corps, with another 680 enlisted for combat duty in the British Solomon Islands Defence Force, working alongside the Americans.
In late August 1942, Martin Clements, a Protectorate Officer who had become a coastwatcher (q.v.), was instructed by Resident Commissioner William Marchant (q.v.) (evacuated to Malaita) to resume his duties as District Officer of Guadalcanal.
By 2 September, the Resident Commissioner was himself based at Lungga and accommodations were worked out between the Allied forces and the Protectorate Government.
It is now home to around sixty-five thousand people.
The land of present-day Honiara was part of Ndi-Nggai territory and the main villages were at Mataniko and Kakambona to the east and west of the Point Cruz, respectively.
The core area is made up of three land leases from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, mainly negotiated before the British Solomon Islands Protectorate was established in 1893.
The central area from Point Cruz to Tenaru, known as Kukum or Mataniko, was purchased for £60 of trade goods from Uvothea of Lungga, Allea of Manago and his son Manungo on 7 November 1886, by partners Thomas Garvin Keely, John Williams and Thomas Woodhouse, traders in the Shortlands, New Georgia and Ontong Java.
', the place where the southeast winds meet the land.
Honiara sits on a curving section of the Guadalcanal coast, with no natural sheltered port other than small Point Cruz.
Charles Woodford (q.v.) investigated the purchase in 1902.